The Legal Services Authorities Act, 1987 has been enforced and the following persons are entitled to free legal aid for filing or defending a case in any court of law
1. A member of a Scheduled Caste or Scheduled Tribe
2 .A victim of trafficking in human beings or beggar
3. A woman or a child
4. A mentally ill or otherwise disabled person
5. A victim of a mass disaster, ethnic violence, caste atrocity, flood, drought, earthquake or industrial disaster etc
6. An industrial workman
7. Person in custody, including in a protective Home, Juvenile Home, Psychiatric Hospital or Nursing Home etc
8. A person whose annual income from all sources does not exceed Rupees Fifty Thousand (Rs.50, 000/-).
The Legal Services could be provided in any of the following modes
By payment of court fee, process fee, expenses of witnesses, preparation of the paper book, lawyers
1. fee and all other charges payable or incurred in connection with any legal proceedings
2. Through representation by a legal practitioner in legal proceedings
3. By supplying certified copies of judgments, order notes or evidence and other documents in legal proceedings
4. By preparation of appeal, paper book, including printing, typing and translation of documents in legal proceedings
5. By drafting of legal documents
6. By giving legal advice on any legal matter
7. Through Mediation Centers or Family Counseling Centers.
At the District Head quarter, the free legal aid is under the control of the Pro District Judge whereas at the tehsil level, the free legal aid is under the control of the concerned Munsiff.
Legal aid not to be given in certain cases.- Legal aid shall not be given In the following cases, namely: Proceedings wholly or partly in respect of¬
(a) Defamations; or
(b) Malicious prosecution;
(c) a person charged with contempt of court proceeding.,
(2) Proceedings in relation to any elections;
(3) Proceedings incidental to any proceedings 'referred' to in items (1) and (2);
(4) Proceedings in respect of economic offences and offences¬ against social laws :
Provided that the Chairman may in appropriate cases grant legal aid even in such proceedings for reasons to be recorded in writing. Where a person seeking legal aid--
(a) is concerned with the proceedings capacity ; or
(b) if a formal party to, the proceedings not materially concerned in the outcome of the proceedings and his interests are not likely to be prejudiced on account of the absence of proper representation.
Information regarding Legal Aid beneficiaries/Awarness camp
For The Year 2008
1. Legal Aid applications received . (24)
2. Beneficiaries benefited during the calender year 2008 . (03)
Break up of beneficiares . SC . One/women . Two .
3 .Legal Awareness camp held in the year . 2008 . (One)
For The Year 2009
1. Legal Aid applications recieved (w.e.f January 09 to March 09 (28)
2. Beneficiaries benefited during the calender year 2009 (11)
Break up of beneficiares . Woman(10) General One.
3. Legal Awareness camp held in the year . 2009 (Nil)